Saturday, September 26, 2009

Pontypool


I have been curious about this movie since i heard about it a year ago and I must say it was well worth the wait for this breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of remakes, rehashes, and overdone sequels. Pontypool is a fairly low budget Canadian film that takes place in a small radio station in the name sake town. I suppose you could call this a zombie flick but the infected in this movie are by no means your average brain eaters. The premise of the story revolves around a radio host, his staff, and sudden violent mobs surfacing through out the town that are chanting strange things.

I don't really know the best way to describe the infection without giving the plot away (its revealed to the cast as well as the audition as the movie progresses) so I won't try. What is important to know before you go into this movie is its not a visual movie by any means. All but the very opening moments take place in the station and all outside accounts of the "riots" are communicated outside parties calling the station and describing the events. I have seen the negative thoughts on this approach as being too confining. I too find it confining, but in a much needed manner. You as a viewer as just as paranoid as the people in the station about wahts happening around them. You feel the claustrophobic tension of an ever strinking safe zone from an threat no one have a full understanding of and the despair of the voices on the other end of the fragile phone lines. This movie seemed to touch on the nerve that very well was flared by the likes of Orson Well's broadcast of The War of the World. This movie does have some gore but you shouldn't be expecting buckets of blood and guts by any means. This is a thinking movie and if you can get down with that I believe you will enjoy it as much as I have.

4.5/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO glad you posted about this. I've been wanting to see it since I heard about it last spring. Now I'm gonna have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete